Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Routine: Wednesday

See those bright lights and Belfast smiles? They're all for you, folks! All for you!

Well, well, well. I see you all came crawling back to my fascinating blog. You lucky dogs, you. Anyway, we're going to continue on with my routine again. Because I want to. And you have no choice but to read it (please don't exit out and read it).

Wednesday is actually pretty chill. It starts off with Moms and Tots in the big hall at the 174 Trust, which you can find a picture of on my Monday post. Moms and Tots is sweet. I love working with that age group, and the moms and child-minders are genuine, caring, and hard-working people. They are also hilarious and tease me a lot.

Julie and her son pick me up at about 9:50, so usually we come in with a few other volunteers and get everything set up in the hall by 10. There are books, small foot-powered vehicles, a mini-slide and mini-see-saw, and toys. All kinds of toys. Too many too list. I usually head over to the vehicle section of the hall, where the boys and I play a game we created. They call it "Monster." I pretend to be a monster that falls asleep in a chair. They wake me up. I yell "Who disturbed my slumber?!" in a deep voice. They laugh and point at the other kids. Then I act like a giant, usually. Sometimes a giant monkey or bird creature, but usually a giant, which means I wave my arms around a lot and stomp my feet and roar and slowly walk after them. They laugh and I catch them and then I go back to sleep. They wake me up again. Repeat.

Then I grab the tea kettles and I start preparing snack with the other volunteers.

Knights of the Preparation Table


The parents and child-minders get tea, coffee, and/or toast. If someone brings in something awesome like cake or a Polish dish, they get that too. A couple awesome Polish women attend Moms and Tots, so I've had Polish chocolate and another delicious Polish pastry, but I don't remember what it's called.

The kids get plenty of water.


Water we doing?


As well as plenty of healthy food. Fresh fruit, buttered toast, and then every now and then a biscuit (or as Americans call them: cookies).


I have nothing clever to say about this picture, but it looks delicious.


After we've all eaten, we clean up everything and do some craft. I remember this day we decorated snowmen. Note the cotton, top hats, carrot noses, and snowmen bodies.


We be crafty.

After craft, I lead songs like "Duke of York", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Walking Through The Jungle", "Beehive", "Hootchie Gootchie Dance", and "Scarecrow." A lot of those I learned when I got here. We pull out instruments, march, do actions, and sing our hearts out. The kids get funky and it's hilarious. A good note to leave the morning on.

Then, if there are no announcements, everyone splitsvilles and the rest of us stay to clean. Usually these people pictured below, and then Heather gives me a lift home. The volunteers are wonderful at Moms and Tots. Not only do they give me lifts, but sometimes they'll have me over for lunch and feed me. So kind. By the way, since Moms and Tots is a part of the Trust, it's cross-community, so anyone is welcome to come.


Judith (who also helps at Special Needs Club with me), Heather (who gives me a lift home), Me, Kristen (makes amazing feta scones), and Julie (who gives me a lift there).


Then I spend a good chunk of my day doing errands and housework. Things that need to be done during the week that I haven't or won't have time to during the upcoming days. Or, if necessary, to nap and recharge. Then I'm off to Bible Study at Woodvale Methodist.


Awww Yeeeaaah


Bible Study at Woodvale is led by Shankill Methodist minister Mark Charles. Woodvale's minister, Margaret Ferguson, who you can see at the bottom left sitting on the floor, leads another course at Shankill Methodist. So we switcheroo the ministers, but you are welcome to attend any course you like. Mark, or Charlie as he is often called, has led some great courses about taking action with Christian lifestyles, as well the most recent course about the Holy Spirit. I've learned a lot from Margaret, Mark, and all these people. It's always a peaceful vibe with excellent discussion.

And that's Wednesday. See you later, I'm leaving. Or to put it like they do over here: "I'm away."

No comments:

Post a Comment